Sunday, June 03, 2007

A weird little man

I was standing in a train station somewhere today, having gotten onto the wrong train and having had to get off again and discovering I would have to wait a whole hour, so cursing to high heaven when this little Belgian man came up to me and started garbling away in French - so I told him I didn't speak French, and then he withdrew for a few seconds and came back to say - ' I think you are very attractive' very shyly.. I normally snarl at strange men who tell me such things at 11pm in strange train stations but I couldn't help smiling at this guy - he hastened to add that he was just saying it, not, not to - not er, (ok, his English was really bad) - but I understood that he was not saying it to be fresh, so I said 'thank you' and gave him a wide smile, I was really charmed - he looked like he had been drinking a little, and he went on to repeat several times 'you are very attractive', until he declared, more loudly - 'you are SUPER - SUPERWOMAN!! :-) Really, I was terribly charmed, so I conitnued to smile at him and thank him but our conversation couldn't go very far beyond that - he just stood close to me and kept offering his hand for a handshake every now and then, asking me what I thought of Belgians, and saying everyone always says he is too nice, and saying he hated how Belgians treated Africans in Africa, and he didn't accept it at all, well, what I gathered anyway from his half French half Dutch half English.. Finally when my train pulled in he shook my hand again, I told him I thought he was very nice and I also hated what the Belgians had done but that I didn't hold it against ALL Belgians, and I would certainly remember him after I was back home - so he shook my hand, and pulled me very gently down to plant a kiss on my cheek - So sweet!! Patrick is his name.. Oh, at one point he said that he was drunk, ok, a little, but he really meant what he said.. :-)

No comments: