Monday, November 26, 2007

WONDERS NEVER CEASE

I think I may have turned a corner in my culinary skills (or do I speak too soon?). I cooked something so tasty today that I couldn’t talk myself out of taking seconds – of my OWN food – this has never happened (or has happened sooo rarely that - er, no, it has NEVER happened!!) The reason I think I have improved to this extent maybe due to the fact that I now follow cookbook recipes faithfully, and although I still cannot resist the odd embellishment, my little rebellions do not result in the total disasters they did before!! Maybe I know better what works with what and what doesn’t (or maybe I have better sense than to defy my culinary betters!!) I cannot believe that it was this simple all along!!

(In due recognition of this corner in my life, I looked up the word 'culinary' just now, to be sure it pertained to cooking and not eating – I wasn’t even sure of a word so closely related to cooking – goes to show!)

You should have seen me two weeks ago – preparing a menu for my sister’s birthday brunch like I regularly turned out a loaf of bread and three different salads as part of breakfast!! Too bad she had to work so we had to put off the brunch, and then I wasn’t available the day she was free!! But not to fear, this Brunch shall come to pass!! Anyway, I am now more inspired than ever SO - WAIT for it – I'm going to bake a CHRISTMAS CAKE!!! :-)

My new found confidence may also be in the fact that this last weekend, I found out that the mysterious ingredients ‘basil’ and ‘mint’ are common garden weeds (well, almost! - they practically grow wild in my parents’ backyard!!) – I hope no serious food lovers discover this entry and lynch me – I say this in complete jest please – nobody respects and loves food more than I!! :-)

Speaking of wonders, I managed to log on to Blogger to post this – may wonders long continue!!

2 comments:

JOG said...

i was absolutely delighted to log in and find three new posts to read!!!!! Maybe i enjoy your writting because i see some of the stuff in ur life happening? ok u write it well even tho i know what has been happening and yet it refelcts a part of you that i know very little about.... case in point that you make potatoe soup!!! i should share with you some of my homegrown reciepeis... rememeber we were supposed to set up a restaurant called concoctions? it can be on the ground floor of the shopping mall that will be set up to house dear Mom, children's world, great interiors and goodies and books (the coffee/baked goods and reading section) - all these names have been coined up now now but watch this space.... remind me. so yeah concoctions should actually take up the top floor so that they have a great view. it will be one of those restaurrants that requires u to walk in wearing a jacket over your jeans... the mix of hip and serious! but then again i am getting carried away....great wrirting!

JOG said...

my spellin sucks... innit?