Thursday, November 22, 2007

ONE EATS ALOT OF LEFTOVERS WHEN ONE LIVES ON ONE'S OWN!

I always looked forward to living on my own because I thought it would give me plenty of opportunity to learn how to cook ATLAST! I have to say it has been quite an adventure - true, I eat too much potato soup (my most successful dish EVER), but I am also trying out all these different pasta sauces, and yesterday I ate celery for the first time in forever!! The smell took me back to my childhood because my mother was also always experimenting with recipes.. Mind you I have also learnt to chop vegetables like a pro!! :-)

Anyway, the problem with these recipes is that they feed 4 or 6, and trying to cut them down to a serving for 1 is very difficult, for instance I had to use
1 large courgette
1 stalk of spinach
1 carrot
1 onion,
etc.
How does one reduce those ingredients down to serve 1?? So what happens is that I have leftovers of soup, pasta sauce, ground beef, etc., in these containers in my fridge, and what happens is that come lunch time, I look at all these leftovers and feel silly cooking something else - so I end up having these strange combinations that some times taste really good, but more often than not, are totally disgusting!! Today though, I poured the pasta sauce left over from the recipe above into leftover potato soup and it tasted really nice!!

ANYWAY, it is all a great experience. One thing in particular is that one gets to try out all sorts of outlandish dishes and brands of things until they decide on the ones that suit them best! Infact today I was thinking every young person should live on their own and have time to experiment as they wish before joining up with someone else!

1 comment:

Higuita said...

Ciao,
I love Africa and, one day, I hope to visit Uganda too.
Greetings from Sassari, Italy
Ivan

http://samajchnusa.blogspot.com