Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Onliest One

THE ONLIEST ONE

Years ago, I watched this documentary about a cult in a town called Jonestown in Guyana, where about 900 people were either convinced or forced by their leader Jim Jones to take poison and die; one of only about five survivors was this old lady who I think lay down in a ditch and pretended to be dead; when she was found later wandering around the compound and stepping over dead bodies, she just kept saying – ‘I’s the onliest one alive’

I remembered this story because this weekend some one really challenged me about the concept of there being ONE special person that one is meant to spend their life with. I can't say I believe it completely, seeing as I am aware it has been spread by Hollywood and fiction writers, but I sometimes catch myself espousing it. So anyway I was trying to justify having to break up with the stalker by saying he really wasn't 'the one', when I was asked what I meant by 'being the one' exactly! I had to admit that I have dated at least two men that I could have happily spent the rest of my life with, so perhaps I have to modify that phrase - the next morning it came to me - from now I will say of these guys either that he is or isn't 'one of them' - cool no? :-) I like it very much!

I am so happy to be blogging today, I had been wanting to all day yesterday but since it is nearly impossible to log onto Blogger during the day here, one has to come in early in the morning or late at night, so I decided to come in last night. However, since I was late eating my supper, I decided it would be more efficient bringing my late supper in to the office, carrying some wine in a tea flask and sitting down at my desk to blog while I ate. It was quite a feat trying to eat chips and pork out of a paper bag while also typing out my post - in the end I found I was too tired to blog anyway so I just finished my food and went off to sleep, and here I am this morning!


Funny thing - there are these persistent ants that have been terrorising us in the past few months, and they get into EVERYTHING, as long as it is edible and left out in the open. The little buggers are so persistent, that even when you put the food into the freezer and freeze them along with it (sometime thsy are so many it is not worth the bother to remove them), I promise they unfreeze with the food!!! :-) Ok, I exaggerate a little. Anyway, these ants had somehow gotten into the flask as well (I guess I didn't wash it too thoroughly the last time) so when I poured the wine without checking first, there they were, a few dozen floating in my drink.. What was I to do but drink them all down!

No comments: